“The trend to create IoT devices and equipment is creating daunting
security challenges. Researchers say the only way to address the
issue is to create a security culture.” via: Internet of Things world
Atos is the European leader in digital transformation and cyber security. Their department of research and
innovation aims to define a protocol to create secure communication channels in constrained
environments, avoiding the conflicts in consumption of energy and resources that protecting data
and authorization information involves.
For this reason, they have developed an implementation of the PAT ( privacy authorization tokens) protocol in
the Zolertia RE-Mote, allowing security protocols in the board without damaging the low power
consumption of their applications.
The implementation of this protocol proposes a procedure to build tokens in constrained devices
and a protocol that allows the authorization of clients that try to get access to the constrained
environments and to establish secure channels to enhance privacy of exchanged information.
Zolertia RE-Motes were created within the European Research Project RERUM
The key objectives of RERUM are:
- Identify common threats and open security/privacy/reliability issues in existing IoT frameworks for Smart City applications.
- Develop an architectural framework for the interconnectivity of a large number of heterogeneous smart objects based on the concept of “security, privacy and reliability by design”.
- Embed security and reliability on the hardware smart objects, providing reliable, self-managed, robust and context-aware communications minimizing energy consumption.
- Investigate the adaptation of Cognitive Radio (CR) technology in smart objects to minimize wireless interference and ensure the “always connected” concept.
- Evaluate the performance of the framework in two real-world Smart City environments: Tarragona and Heraklion.
Atos research and innovation department have collaborate with RERUM to specify and implement the outcomes from the project.
*Pictures above are from the demo implemented on the ATOS Spain Business and Technology Innovation Center.